Majors in the natural sciences, education, and nursing must be started in earnest, but most other majors should begin by the sophomore year.

Undergraduate Degrees and Majors in the Traditional College

Individualized Majors

A student may also choose to propose an individualized major that combines coursework from two or more departments. These are designed in consultation with academic advisors in each department. The individualized major must be sponsored by at least one faculty member and must be approved by the Academic Program Committee. Individualized Majors will also need to include a capstone experience approved through their advisor. Students with an Individualized Major may apply for departmental honors through their advisors who will make application to the Academic Policy Committee.

Students interested in pursuing an individualized major should consult with the Associate Dean of the College.

International students must have the approval of the Director of International Studies to submit and Individual Major proposal.

Academic Minors

Students may also choose a minor at Hiram. Minors are offered in almost every department. Some minors offered are interdisciplinary in nature. Usually a minor consists of 18 to 20 semester hours. Most minors cannot be taken in the same academic department as the major. Information about the requirements for both majors and minors is available from either the department chair or the program coordinator.

Declaration of Major, Minor, Advisor

Effective Fall 2012, all traditional students must declare their major by March 1st of their Sophomore year, or before earning 56 hours and becoming juniors. If a student is not declared by March registration for the following Fall semester, the student will be blocked from registration. Students transferring in with sophomore, junior or senior standing must declare a major prior to registration for their third semester at Hiram College. Minors should be declared no later than the semester in which the student graduates.

Advising is a key component of a student's major and minor declaration. Therefore, after discussing their interest in a particular major or minor with the chair of the department, and if required a faculty member within the department, traditional students can officially declare their major and minor in the following manner:

  1. Obtain the Declaration of Major/Advisor or Declaration of Minor/Advisor form from the Registrar’s Office.  Consult with proposed major advisor to discuss Connect Major Declaration essay along with obtaining the appropriate signatures.
  2. Obtain the signature of the School Director on the appropriate form and the signature of the new advisor.
  3. Submit form with all signatures to the Registrar’s Office for processing.