Hiram College admits students based on a holistic review of record. We look for students who have the ability to succeed at the College and who are likely to make a contribution to the Hiram community. Because Hiram offers a broad range of programs and opportunities, students present a variety of credentials and interests and come from many different social, geographical, economic, religious, and racial backgrounds. This diversity contributes to Hiram’s vitality and encourages students to learn from each other; however, decisions on admission are made without regard to race, religion, gender, or national origin.

In addition to academic information, the motivation, initiative, and accomplishments of the individual are factors taken into consideration when evaluating an application for admission to programs within the Center for Adult Studies. Qualities such as seriousness of purpose, emotional maturity, and breadth and depth of interests may affect the admission decision.

The admissions procedure consists of the following steps:

Degree-Seeking Students

  1. Complete a Center for Adult Studies admission application.
  2. Submit official transcripts from high school or any college/university previously attended or where you have work in progress. Official transcript(s) should be sent directly to the Center for Adult Studies at Hiram College.
  3. Schedule an on-campus or phone interview to discuss the Center for Adult Studies program and your educational objectives.

Hiram College is eager to grant recognition for the accomplishments of its students outside of the classroom and for work that has been successfully completed at other accredited colleges or universities. It must be emphasized, however, that the awarding of advanced credit cannot be allowed to detract from the College’s commitment to the highest standards of academic performance.

See Transfer Credit for information/policy on transfer of credit for Hiram College.

Non-Degree Seeking or Transient Students

Individuals who want to take coursework for personal satisfaction may enroll under a non-degree seeking status. Students who have been regularly enrolled at another college or university may enroll as transient (unclassified) students and take a limited amount of coursework at Hiram College without becoming candidates for a Hiram degree.

  1. Complete a non-degree, special student application for each non-consecutive semester enrolled.
  2. Schedule an on-campus or phone appointment to register for class.

Additional Hiram College Bachelor’s Degree

Hiram graduates who have already received either the B.A. or the B.S.N degree may wish to obtain the other bachelor’s degree. Students interested in pursuing this must adhere to the following graduation requirements:

  • Students who have completed a Hiram College bachelor’s degree and thus all general education requirements within the last five years may be exempt from completing general education requirements for their second Hiram bachelor’s degree. All requirements for the major of the second bachelor’s degree must be completed as well as maintaining a major and cumulative grade point average of 2.00. Major requirements are set by each academic program. Therefore, students should consult with a program counselor in PGS on requirements for the major.
  • Students returning to Hiram for their second bachelor’s degree and who have been away from the College for five or more years may be required to follow the College’s Core Curriculum general education requirements. Questions regarding status of general education requirements should be directed to the Registrar’s Office.
  • Students pursuing both a Hiram B.A. and B.S.N. simultaneously must complete all requirements for each major, earn a 2.00 cumulative grade point average as well as a 2.00 grade point average in each major, and fulfill all general education requirements.

Additional Hiram College Major After Hiram College Graduation

Hiram graduates who wish to return to Hiram to complete an additional major or minor may do so by contacting the Office of Professional and Graduate Studies. In most cases, students returning to complete an additional major/minor will not be eligible for financial aid. Questions regarding financial aid should be directed to the Financial Aid Office.